Thursday, March 6, 2008

Which Stain will the Democrats Erase?

“A friend of mine, a black man, said to me, ‘My ancestors came to this country in chains; I’m voting for Barack.’ I told him, ‘Well, my sisters came here in chains and on their periods; I’m voting for Hillary.’ ”

The above quote in the New York Times is useful to help us understand the struggle that Democrats are going through right now. One one hand voters want to nominate Hillary to prove that Americans are not mysoginistic and on the other they want to nominate Obama to prove that Americans are not racist. Both types of discrimination are clearly horrendous and it would be wonderful if in 2008 the United States could have either a female or black president.

The only problem is that as much as I find discrimination disgusting I still understand that to be sucessful in the general election the Democratic candidate will be best served by having time to stockpile money, rest and start campaigning against the Republican nominee.

For the sake of the Democratic Party Obama and Clinton need to be locked in a room and flip a coin to see who will be the nominee. If they can set aside their egos America may be lucky enough to prove to the world that we are neither mysoginistic nor racist with a woman/minority POTUS and VPOTUS team.

No comments: